Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Obligatory First Post

When I was eighteen years old, I had a second piercing put into my right earlobe. It was nothing extreme; it wasn't even gauged. I just liked the slight unevenness of it. Nobody thought much of it; indeed, my mother already had an extra piercing in each of her earlobes.

When I was twenty-one years old, I went to a broadcast for youth and young adults, to hear the Mormon prophet Gordon B Hinckley speak. Up until that day, I hadn't been particularly happy to be a member of the Mormon church, but neither had I felt disturbed to be so. It was all I knew. The questions were there, but they were infant ideas. They had not yet grown words.

I remember only one piece of counsel from that broadcast: that women should have only one earring per ear. One modest earring, whatever that meant. And there I sat, with my ears totaling two and my earrings totaling three. I had just been given a direct order from, as far as I knew, the Prophet of God. I had thought, in such a situation, that my course of action would be obvious. But sitting there in that stuffy chapel on that butt-numbing bench, with the Prophet's face ten feet tall before me, I knew that I was not going to obey.

There was no anger in that moment, no bitterness or resentment. There was just the calm, sure knowledge that nobody, not even a Prophet, had any business mucking about in my jewelry box! It was such a small thing, but for the first time ever, the LDS Church had attempted to cross a boundary in my mind, and found that boundary defended. My jewelry was an expression of my personality. Years of being bullied at school as a geeky bookworm had instilled in me a stolid determination that I would not change my personality, my self, for anyone but me. My jewelry was not loud or edgy, but it was part of my self and, to some degree, I wore it in defiance of those who would have taken that away. Though I may not yet have understood the depth of the LDS Church's failings, I knew bullying when I saw it.

I did not take out that third earring. My mother took her extras out that evening. Every other woman I knew took out any extra piercings she had. But I did not. That one extra earring went from a sparkly whim to an act of defiance. I would not take it out. I was defying the Prophet. I didn't fully understand why, but it was terribly important that I keep it up.

I still have that third piercing. There were times when I went for months without wearing any jewelry at all; I was hit by a near-crippling dose of clinical depression not long after that broadcast, and I quit caring how I looked for a while. A few times during the years that followed, that third piercing closed up and began to heal over. Whenever I caught it doing that, I would pick up any old earring and shove it through the hole. Sometimes I relished the pain but mostly it was an annoyance. But it was a sign of my ownership of myself, so it had to stay, pain or no pain.

So,  if you're reading this, welcome to my PostMormon blog, and I hope my choice of name makes at least a bit of sense to you.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on starting the blog, love the name! Great to see that defiance led to an open mind...and we all know where that leads.

    Best of luck with the blog and on your journey.

    -exmoinaz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm getting married in a few weeks so haven't had as much time to post as I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great first post! I remember when that talk/counsel came out. My mother has had two piercings in one ear and three in the other for many years now. At that time I remember bugging my mother about how she should take out her extra earrings....I'm so glad that she didn't! Go Mom! I still cringe when I think about how blind I was.

    ReplyDelete